Wednesday, September 4, 2013

AT&T Nexus 4 Data Speeds Slow APN Settings

**Updated 09.11.2013**

I recently purchased and switched to the Nexus 4 from an iPhone 4S and was receiving poor data speeds on AT&T, like 0.01Mbps down.  I found multiple APN configs online but none of them seemed to work for me. I finally came across one that did and hopefully it works for others.  Keep the auto-generated APN settings profile and just create a new profile with the options below:

Settings>Wireless & Networks>More...>Mobile networks>Access Point Names:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
APN: phone
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password:<not set>
Server:<not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN protocol IPv4


**Added 09.11.2013**

This part was key for me.  Go to your phone and dial *#*#4636#*#*.  You should now be in a Testing Settings section. Go to Phone information and scroll down and it should say WCDMA preferred.  Change this to GSM auto (PRL).  I found that this option works best for me.  You can experiment and try other options to see if you can get better speeds or if you have Straight Talk, etc.  I originally saw someone suggest LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL), but it didn't work for me.

I'm now getting around 8.0Mbps+ down and 1.0Mbps+ up.

If you have a grandfathered iPhone unlimited plan you should be able to keep it.  I've read on the AT&T forums that people have switched phones multiple times and retained their grandfathered unlimited iPhone plan, so don't switch plans unless that seems to be your last resort.

*While it shouldn't be necessary you could reboot the phone.

Good luck.

Get Moto X like notifications on your Nexus 4 for FREE

No comments:

Post a Comment